Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Stars At Night...

Are big and bright....deep in the heart of Texas...

Before I tell you about my trip to Texas, I'll tell you about my new Janome! I love her. I've been sewing on a Bernina Activa 220 for 6 years now, and though she's still running fine, it was time for a new machine. This time, a quilting machine. Boy, does she hum! And for what little I've played around with, the quilting stitches are fantastic! One of the things I appreciate most was being able to purchase this machine from a local sew/vac shop. Supporting the local shops means a lot to me in this era of big box stores. I'm looking forward to many years of quilting on her!
In progress are some mug rugs....
And Farmer's Wife blocks. I can hardly believe that I am *almost* done sewing my fwqal blocks. As in, I'm down to the last 2-3 I am going to sew before piecing them all together to make the actual quilt. Wowee! I know I originally set out to make all 111 blocks. But recently I decided I'd sew roughly 80 or so and make a smaller lap sized quilt. With my Swoon quilt in the making and other quilts on the "to make" list, I will be happy with a smaller version of the Farmer's Wife. Plus, I am *slightly* impatient and I want to get 'er done! ;)

So.....Texas. I flew to Texas 2 weeks ago to meet up with friends and to go to a concert. A concert by none other than Jordan Knight. If you've been reading my blog for any length of time, you know what a *big* fan I am. He pretty much rocks my socks. For 23 years and counting now. And like a fine wine, he only gets better with age. Seriously.

Here I am with my friend LD who lives in AZ. We're standing outside the theater which was this super neato theater from the 1930s. It was a real treat to see him perform there.

And here I am with Cami, who lives in St. Louis, and Alex who lives locally in Dallas. It was such a wonderful time, not only to attend the concert, but to see friends too. I cherish all these wonderful memories made with such dear people. I also look forward to the next time we will all meet up!

Here's a little snippet from soundcheck, a couple hours before the concert. *Sigh* This man is really something else.

So tell me, what have you been up to lately?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura...I love all your blocks..the varieties of them! I tend to just do scrappy, but should rethink it~ ♥♥♥

K @ Aurora Blythe said...

What a great time you had in Texas! After all the stress of interning it is nice to see that you got away for some fun! Like your new sewing machine. I have contemplated machine quilting but am a bit intimidated. You make it look so easy!

aneela said...

Your FW blocks look so pretty together! Yeah and I was a bit of a NKOTB fan too :)

Miki said...

Congrats on your new quilting device and on having seen Jordan once again! Wow! :p And I've been wanting to go to Texas lately ... It seems such a magical place to visit!

Have a great week! ;D